How many times a day do you look in the mirror and see those fine lines forming on your face? Aging is a natural process that everyone must undergo, but it varies based on how well you’re taking care of your skin. Keep reading as The Dermo Lab will reveal 3 anti-aging secrets to fight wrinkles!
1- Healthy daily habits directly affect how your skin looks
The most effective way to reduce signs of aging is to adopt healthy daily habits.
According to the dermatologist Dr. Khadija Aljefri , the first anti-aging secret is to follow a healthy lifestyle. Here are 4 key points you should consider:
- Quit smoking: Smoking is incredibly harmful for your skin. Nicotine constricts blood vessels, which is the primary cause of wrinkles and sagging.
- Manage stress and anxiety: The stress hormone, cortisol, breaks down the collagen protein primarily responsible for skin elasticity. You should also be careful of chronic stress and anxiety since it negatively affects your DNA and can accelerate cell death
- Follow a healthy diet: Drink enough water during the day and eat healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables which contain essential vitamins and minerals for your health. We also recommend that you reduce your intake of processed canned foods.
- Exercise: A simple daily walk can help you remain active
2- Sun protection is essential
Many of you have heard of premature aging, but you don’t realize how serious it is until you start noticing fine lines on your skin before you’ve even hit forty. The sun’s rays can accelerate skin aging especially when unprotected. And as Dr. Khadija Aljefri says, protecting yourself from the sun is the most important step in your anti-aging routine.
She also adds that it’s important to differentiate between the two types of sunscreen: chemical and mineral. Chemical sunscreens take about 20 minutes to sink into the skin before they can start working and absorb UV rays. On the contrary, mineral sunscreens contain ingredients that reflect UV rays away from the skin instead of absorbing it, which is more effective but can be thicker and harder to apply.
Dr. Khadija Aljefri points out that excessive exposure to UV rays can lead to skin cancer. Therefore, it’s important to choose a sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. She also recommends looking for one with an SPF of 30 or 50.
Keep in mind that sunscreen is important, but sunscreen alone is not enough. Remember to always wear a hat, sun-protective clothing and avoid peak sun hours.
3- Not all anti-aging products are the same
Finally, we reach our third anti-aging secret, a very important one for you skin care routine as it’s related to the products you use. One of the mistakes you might be making is layering too many anti-aging creams or choosing products based on your friends’ recommendation.
According to Dr. Khadija Aljefri , not all anti-aging products are the same. It mainly depends on the active ingredients they contain. Here are some of the most effective anti-aging ingredients to look for:
- Retinoids (vitamin A): You might have heard about the wrinkle-reducing benefits of retinoids. Truth is, retinoids are derived from vitamin A and are considered one of the most effective treatments of skin aging. It promotes cell turnover and stimulates collagen production, which helps keep skin firm and prevent sagging.
- Antioxidants: The most important antioxidants include vitamin C, vitamin E, resveratrol, tea extract and grape seed extract. Dr. Khadija Aljefri explains that vitamin C in particular, protects the skin from sun damage, unifies the skin tone, enhances skin radiance and stimulates collagen production. However, pay attention to the vitamin C concentration as high concentrations could cause irritation. As for vitamin E, it protects our cells against free radical damage, which makes it essential for the maintenance of youthful skin.
- Hydroxy acids: There are two types of hydroxy acids: alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) and beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), and there is a new generation of acids called polyhydroxy acids (PHAs). Alpha acids (such as glycolic acid and lactic acid) gently exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells which is helpful for hyperpigmentation, whereas beta acids (such as salicylic acid) deeply cleanse the skin and revitalize the complexion.
- Niacinamide: Also known as vitamin B3 is a powerful antioxidant that helps retain water and moisture in the skin and improve its elasticity
So, it’s time to rethink your every day creams and serums and choose ones that are effective in reducing wrinkles and fine lines. Always remember that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so protect your skin from the sun and adopt a healthy lifestyle!
Anti-aging products we recommend from Eau Thermale Avene, a prominent brand in the field of skin care:
– A-Oxitive day Smoothing Water Cream: Rich in antioxidants, this day cream provides full protection against pollution and free radicals while also providing 24-hour hydration.
– A-Oxitive Night Peeling Cream: A night peeling cream that gently exfoliates the skin to promote skin renewal, unifies the complexion and softens it. It also protects against the damage caused by environmental aggressions which speed up aging.
– A-Oxitive Eyes smoothing Eye Contour Cream: An eye contour cream that boosts cell renewal and radiance around the eye area. Rich in vitamin E, it protects the skin against the harmful effects of free radicals and delays the appearance of fine lines, especially noticeable around your eyes.
– Very High Protection Fluid SPF 50+: A sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays with an SPF 50+. It is rapidly absorbed by the skin and has a matte finish.
Last Updated on February 13, 2023