“Little make up, and these dark spots will be gone”. Hold on! Is this how you want to hide these little annoying spots for the rest of your days? What if we tell you that the Dermo Lab has the solution now? You read that right, the Dermo Lab reached out to the dermatologist Dr. Lama Costantine to set out the causes of pigmentation around the mouth, the preventive steps, and the treatments.
What Causes Pigmentation Around the Mouth?
According to Dr. Lama Costantine, there are 8 factors that cause pigmentation around the mouth, and knowing them is key if you want to make them disappear:
1- Vitamin B12 deficiency: Vitamin B12 promotes skin’s health and maintains its appearance, thus the lack of this vitamin can lead to several skin conditions, including pigmentation around the mouth.
2- Genetic diseases: If you notice dark spots around your mouth or in any area of your face, you should consult a dermatologist to find out the reason behind it. Several genetic diseases could be causing this problem.
3- Overexposure to sunlight: The first thing that comes to our minds when we hear pigmentation is sunlight and its effect on our skin, which is largely true. Sun rays are considered a key factor that causes skin pigmentation, especially when you don’t wear sunscreen.
4- Contact dermatitis: This rash occurs in case of direct contact with a substance that causes pigmentation or an allergic reaction. Many substances can cause such reactions, including cosmetics like foundations or even lip balms.
5- Perioral dermatitis: Dermatitis may not always be related to contact with certain irritants or substances. Rather, it could occur due to several factors such as bacterial and fungal infections or bacteria growth on the surface of the skin.
6- Dryness and redness around the mouth: The area around the mouth is one of the most areas prone to dryness and redness due to drooling during sleep, licking the lips, using fluoridated toothpastes, which all could be causing pigmentation around your mouth.
7- Acanthosis nigricans: This skin disorder causes a dark discoloration in body folds that become thickened. It is more common in obese, dark-skinned, and diabetic people.
8- Hormonal imbalances: Another key factor to take into consideration is hormonal imbalance, which can trigger the appearance of dark spots on your face, especially the area around the mouth. A specialist doctor can diagnose this case after testing hormone levels.
How to Prevent Pigmentation Around the Mouth?
So, as you may have noticed, many factors can cause pigmentation around the mouth, and you need to take them all into consideration to prevent the appearance of dark spots. Furthermore, you can take the next steps to protect your mouth contour area:
- Apply sunscreen on your face and focus on the mouth contour area which sometimes could be overlooked.
- Apply a moisturizing cream around your mouth, especially if you drool at night.
- Stop licking your lips, this habit can harm your mouth contour or your lips.
- Use fluoride-free toothpastes because fluorine has harmful effects on the skin.
How to Treat Pigmentation Around the Mouth?
Pigmentations can sometimes appear around your mouth without you even noticing, which raises questions about the treatment. Here, Dr. Lama Costantine recommends you start by using lightening creams that contain lightening agents such as kojic acid, vitamin C, and arbutin.
In severe cases, you can turn to chemical peels, which are one of the most effective treatments that reduce pigmentation and spots. In addition, you can undergo laser treatments under the supervision of a dermatologist, which are also very effective.
Now that you got to know everything about pigmentation around the mouth, we would like to suggest a range of products to help you with this skin condition, all from Ducray, the renowned brand for effective treatment products.
– Melascreen Depigmenting Intense Care: Rely on this topical cream to treat pigmentation and dark spots on your face. It is very effective thanks to its formula rich in azelaic acid and glycolic acid, which are two important active ingredients that reduce pigmentation. This product also evens out your complexion, to make it look bright and healthy. For best results, apply it morning and evening on pigmented areas after cleansing your face.
– Melascreen Eclat Light Cream SPF 15: This lightweight cream is rich in Vitamin C, which makes it effective in evening out skin tone and reducing the appearance of pigmentation and dark spots. It moisturizes your skin while restoring its freshness. You can also use it as a foundation, as it instantly smooths your complexion.
– Melascreen UV Light Cream SPF 50+: This sunscreen has a lightweight texture with a high Sun Protection Factor (SPF 50+), which makes it work as a protective shield against photoaging, (i.e. skin damage and aging caused by prolonged sun exposure). It is also effective in reducing and limiting dark spots on the face, and it is resistant to water and perspiration, so you can apply it and be sure of its long-lasting effect.