Looking for long, thick hair? It’s not impossible, especially if you are taking appropriate measures to protect and care for your hair. There are many ways to help you get long healthy hair and reduce hair loss: from shampoos and hair care products, to natural blends and vitamins and the list goes on.
In this article from The Dermo Lab, we will give you the answers you have been relentlessly looking for in collaboration with the dermatologist and cosmetologist Dr. Joelle Korkomaz. So, if you want to grow strong hair and prevent hair loss, read on!
First, what are the possible reasons for hair loss?
Hair shedding is part of the natural balance, some hair falls out while others grow in. As Dr. Joelle Korkomaz indicates, it’s very common for people to lose 50 to 100 single hairs per day.
She adds that hair loss can be due to underlying conditions such as the ones mentioned below:
- Heredity (the most common cause)
- Hormonal changes: due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, or thyroid disease.
- Certain medications: such as drugs used for cancer, heart problems or high blood pressure.
- Hairstyles and hair treatments: like pigtails causing traction alopecia, hot oils, and permanents.
- Medical conditions: such as alopecia areata that usually results in patchy hair loss, and trichotillomania also referred to as hair-pulling disorder.
- Deficiency in biotin, iron, or zinc.
Second, does the frequency of showers affect hair loss?
According to Dr. Joelle Korkomaz, frequent hair washing does not cause hair loss. Washing your hair is important for keeping your scalp and hair healthy and eliminating dirt and unnecessary oils.
However, Dr. Joelle Korkomaz states that using hot water and washing frequently can damage your scalp and hair, making it dry. It could cause inflammation, which in turn might cause hair miniaturization that leads to hair thinning. In addition, hot showers might remove oils from the hair and scalp, leaving hair follicles vulnerable to withering and death.
Third, are vitamins beneficial for hair loss?
Many people consider healthy-looking hair as a sign of health or beauty. Like any other part of your body, hair needs a variety of nutrients to grow in a healthy way. In fact, many nutritional deficiencies are related to hair loss.
As Dr. Joelle Korkomaz explains, 5 vitamins are essential for healthy hair.
- Biotin (vitamin B7): found in egg yolks, whole grains, and meat.
- Iron: found in red meat, leafy greens, and legumes.
- Vitamin C: essential to absorb iron.
- Vitamin D: found in sunlight, fatty fish, and fortified milk.
- Zinc: found in beans, meat, nuts, and seeds.
While iron and zinc contribute to the shine and brilliance of hair, magnesium plays an important role in promoting follicle hair growth. According to most of the experts, magnesium is a natural anti-stress mineral, making it a major component in hair loss. That’s why, you need to be careful as lack of vitamins and minerals in your body can cause hair loss.
Eating foods rich in vitamins that maintain hair strength is one of the most important ways to keep your hair healthy and safe. In addition to food, you can get these vitamins in tablet form.
So, choosing good hair vitamins is all your hair needs for growth and extra density. We recommend you try the below product from Ducray, the leading hair care brand in the market:
- Ducray Anacaps Food Supplements: Whether your hair loss is chronic or acute, it is imperative that you take food supplements that will provide your hair with the nutrients it needs. Thanks to its formula rich in vitamins, Anacaps food supplements will help your hair from falling out and will stimulate its growth.
Fourth, what is the most effective hair loss treatment?
After you’ve had a look at the reasons for hair loss, it’s time to reveal the best ways to tackle this problem.
Whether hair loss is the result of a short-term or chronic health problem, there are things you can do to treat hair loss and protect your hair.
As discussed previously, factors such as stress, pregnancy or the use of certain medications are often the cause of occasional hair loss. And in order to treat this condition in such circumstances, Ducray Creastim Anti-Hair Loss Lotion is exactly what you need! The hair regains strength, vitality and volume with visible results from the 1st month. Its fluid texture enables an optimal penetration of the lotion, without leaving the hair oily.
If you suffer from chronic hair loss due to hormonal problems or genetics, we recommend you use Ducray Neoptide Anti-Hair Loss Lotion that prevents hair loss and stimulates hair growth. It is perfect for daily use due to its light formula and non-greasy texture. Ducray has launched two types of Neoptide lotion: Neoptide Anti-Hair Loss Lotion for Women and Neoptide Anti-Hair Loss Lotion for Men for the treatment of hair loss in women and men respectively.
Home remedies (oils in particular)
One benefit some essential oils have is improving hair health. Dr. Joelle Korkomaz recommends massaging your scalp with:
- Aloe vera gel
- Tea tree oil
- Coconut oil
- Wash it after if your hair tends to be oily
- Use it as a leave-in treatment if your hair is dry
- Rosemary oil
- Add a few drops in your shampoo
- Do not use it directly on the skin
- Geranium oil
But do scalp massages really help restore hair growth? According to Dr. Joelle Korkomaz, research is limited. What is known so far is promising regarding scalp massage and hair growth.
She also adds that scalp massages may help dilate blood vessels beneath the skin, thereby encouraging hair growth, and increasing hair thickness by stretching the cells of hair follicles. Moreover, scalp massages aid in the removal of dead skin cells from the scalp – noting that a flaky scalp is known to worsen hair loss in certain individuals. Scalp massages can therefore be very beneficial to those who suffer from scalp conditions such as dandruff.
For many, mixing oils with your shampoo and applying it regularly to your scalp can increase hair growth, strength or shine. So, your first step should be choosing the right shampoo! Ducray Anaphase+ Anti-Hair Loss Complement Shampoo is a product to include in your hair care regimen as it makes your hair stronger, stimulates hair growth and reduces hair loss thanks to its formula rich in essential nutrients for hair and scalp.
Fifth, can we prevent hair loss?
Now that you’re aware of the common mistakes that can cause your hair to fall out, it’s easier for you to avoid them.
It is very important to follow these tips:
- Be gentle with your hair. Use a conditioner and avoid tugging when brushing and combing, especially when your hair is wet. Avoid aggressive treatments such as hot rollers, curling irons, hot oil treatments and perms.
- Ask your doctor about medications and dietary supplements you are taking as these might cause thinning hair.
- Protect your hair from sunlight and other sources of ultraviolet light.
- Stop smoking.
- If you are undergoing chemotherapy, ask your doctor if a cooling cap is available. This cap may reduce the risk of hair damage during chemotherapy.
- Also make sure to adopt a healthy hair care routine by using reliable products, such as those suggested above from Ducray.
Lastly, you can prevent damage to your hair caused by caustic chemicals or tight hairstyles by simply avoiding them. We also recommend you adopt a healthy diet that provides the necessary nutrients in terms of vitamins and minerals.
Last Updated on February 23, 2024