Diaper rash (also known as nappy rash) is a very common skin condition among babies. Although it’s not fatal, this condition can cause enough concern to any new mom. Fret not! In this article we break down the causes of nappy rash, and a few steps you can take to protect your baby’s precious skin, along with some treatment tips to help you take good care of your baby. So, keep reading as we will be sharing with you all the details about nappy rash brought to you in collaboration with the paediatrician Dr. Nissrin Makki.
What Causes Nappy Rash?
Noticing your baby’s bottom all red and swollen for the first time can leave you shocked and wondering why.
In fact, nappy rash can be caused by 7 factors you should be aware of:
1- Irritation from prolonged exposure to urine and stool: As a new mother, knowing when to change your baby’s diaper can be a bit challenging. However, you need to be careful because prolonged skin contact with urine and stool can irritate your baby’s skin. Since babies tend to have frequent bowel movements, it’s best to change the diaper regularly.
2- Rubbing caused by tight diapers or clothes: Tight diapers or underwear that rub against your baby’s skin can also be among the causes of nappy rash.
3- Irritation caused by certain products: Your baby’s skin is very sensitive and can easily react to new products, including wet wipes, diapers, detergents, bleaches, or fabric softeners, in addition to some baby lotions, powders and oils.
4- Bacterial or fungal infection: It’s worth knowing that your baby’s nappy area is prone to infection because it’s warm and moist.
5- Eating new foods: After the fifth month, your baby can start eating solid foods gradually. This update in your baby’s diet will lead to changes in the shape and frequency of stools, which will increase the risk of diaper rash.
6- Sensitive skin: Babies with certain skin conditions, such as atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis, may be more prone to nappy rash.
7- Taking antibiotics: Taking antibiotics can lead to a yeast infection that causes nappy rash.
How to Protect Your Baby’s Skin from Nappy Rash?
Now that you’re aware of the causes that lead to this skin problem, Dr. Nissrin Makki recommends the following 7 preventive steps:
1- Change your baby’s diaper regularly.
2- Each time you change diapers, rinse your baby’s bottom with warm water and fragrance-free soap. If you use wet wipes, go for the unscented, alcohol-free ones.
3- After rinsing, pat your baby’s bottom dry with a clean towel or let it air dry.
4- Avoid tightening the diaper as this prevents your baby’s skin from breathing, which creates a moist environment for nappy rash.
5- Let your baby enjoy some nappy-free time whenever possible, another way to expose their skin to air.
6- Use a soothing cream at each diaper change to prevent skin irritation.
7- Wash your hands thoroughly after changing diapers to prevent the spread of bacteria to other parts of your baby’s body.
What If Your Baby Developed Nappy Rash?
Suppose you have taken all the preventive measures, yet somehow your baby has developed nappy rash. Here, Dr. Nissrin Makki recommends you follow the below steps to treat this condition:
– Keep your baby’s skin dry by patting it dry after rinsing.
– Bathe your baby in warm water with a gentle soap-free cleanser.
– Apply ointments or creams containing zinc oxide to your baby’s skin as it helps soothe the skin and reduce irritation. You can also apply these ointments over medicated creams recommended by your doctor. Pro tip, you can apply a layer of Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) over these creams to prevent the nappy from sticking to your baby’s bottom, allowing the skin to better absorb the creams, indicates Dr. Nissrin
– If the rash persists, you should see a doctor who will prescribe you any of the following:
- A mild hydrocortisone (steroid) cream.
- Anti-fungal cream in case of a fungal infection.
- A topical or oral antibiotic in case of a bacterial infection.
Follow these steps and the rash will clear up in few days though it might recur after a while.
To help you take good care of your baby’s delicate skin, we recommend you rely on the following products from Klorane, the brand trusted by millions of mothers around the world for its iconic baby products:
– Gentle Cleansing Gel: Pamper your baby’s skin with this cleansing gel which has a soothing formula rich in moisturizing agents and calendula extracted from organically grown flowers. Using this cleanser will protect your baby’s skin from dryness and soothe irritation.
– Eryteal 3-in-1 Diaper Change Spray: To prevent rashes, apply this spray to your baby’s diaper area at each change. It is specially formulated with soothing calendula extract, olive oil and zinc oxide, to prevent rashes, take care of rash-prone skin, and soothe irritation.
– Eryteal 3-in-1 Diaper Change Ointment: If you prefer ointments over sprays, Klorane brings you this product which combines calendula extract with zinc oxide to treat the skin’s protective barrier in rash-prone areas. This ointment reduces the skin’s reaction to external factors that trigger rashes (urine, stool, nappy chafing), making it one of the best products for your baby!
Last Updated on February 16, 2024